Been in same house since 1996? You might be exempt from the bedroom tax

Hands Off Our Homes - Leeds

** We’ve made our advice on this a bit clearer to help tenants. Let us know if it works for you!**

Have you been living at your present address since 1
st January 1996 or before?

Have you been claiming Housing Benefit continuously from this address throughout that time?

Or have you claimed Housing Benefit continuously from an address where you inherited the tenancy from a parent or partner who had themselves claimed continuously from 1st January 1996 until their death?

If so, you may be eligible for a refund of any bedroom tax (extra rent due to having ‘spare’ bedrooms you have paid since April 2013.

This applies even if you have been awarded a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) – you will not have to pay back any DHP already paid to you.

It may also apply to people who have had breaks in their tenancy if it…

View original post 246 more words

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: